Tuesday 19 April 2016

Falling in Love with God: Surest Way to Overcoming Sin


If you have never sinned then this post is not for you. Byeee you can leave. But since all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God and since if you say you have no sin you are not being truthful so please take a seat wai because this post is for you.

We have all struggled with sin before and even probably still struggling with it. We have tried different methods. They work for a couple of day, weeks, months and we fall back into the same old sin again. Sometimes we even give up and decide to remain in our sin till a preacher scares us with hell then we go to God and ask for forgiveness. But then it doesn't last. Soon the fear of hell vanishes and we go back to the same old sin again.  

But here is the thing: the reason why we keep on falling over and over into sin chronically is because we do not love God. Ouch that hurts our hearing. I am not the one saying it ooo.  Check the following verses.    
'If you love me, you will keep my commandments.' John 14: 15. 'If a man loves me, he will keep my words' John 14: 23
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.’ Matthew 22:27
‘You must love the Lord your God and always obey his requirements, decrees, regulations, and commands.’ Deuteronomy 11:1

There are many other verses like these. I am even tempted to say that anytime that God talked about obedience to His commandments, it was preceded with loving Him. But since I am not a Bible scholar I wouldn’t say that.

However, with these few verses, we clearly see that obedience to God rises and falls on our love for Him. Our ability to overcome sin is positively correlated with our love for God.


Why we are failing: We have stripped Christianity of love and have made it all about avoiding sin; preaching self-righteousness and muting grace and that is the exact reason why our efforts prove futile. We have gone back to the era of the law. We focus on sin instead of focusing on having a relationship with the God who will empower us to overcome it.
You want to overcome sin?  Here is the solution: Quit struggling with sin and fall in love with God.  


Let me illustrate this so you understand.

You have probably been in a relationship before. So there is this thing at the beginning of the relationship where one of the parties mostly the guy since they do most of the chasing asks the girl ‘what are your likes and dislikes?’ Mostly when I am asked that question, I go like why? (Yea I know I am not romantic at all) and the reply I mostly get is ‘I want to know you so I don't do things that will make you angry and hurt you’. Sometimes some people go to the extent of saying 'I promise to always make you happy. I will never hurt you. I will never make you cry. Blablablabla.' (This saying gives me headache).
So we see that we associate love with pleasure and happiness. When we love someone we want to do things to please the person and make them happy. We don't want to make them angry; we don't want to hurt them. And so the moment your partner repeatedly makes you sad, cry and hurts you, you quickly draw the conclusion that he/she doesn't love you.

Our love is expressed through our actions. 'He who does not love me does not keep my words.' John 14: 24.

The same works with God. When we love God, we want to do things that will please him (without faith it is...uh huh there is a link. I will come back to that point.) And avoid things that will make him sad.
So now you are convinced about the love thing? Yea. Now you probably asking yourself so how do I fall in love with God?
Again let us use Eros love to draw an analogy. After all Paul did the same between Christ and the church and the husband and the wife. Since I am a woman, I will take it from that angle. When you meet a man and he is able to show you beyond reasonable doubt that he loves you (even if he is faking it), there are some hormones bi that your brain releases. Me I don’t know. I didn’t like biology.

The more he shows he loves you, the more you are ready to love in return. The more you are ready to love, the more you start declaring it to him with the incessant I love you, I can't live without you (like seriously??? Were you not living before you met him) you are the best thing that ever happened to me, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you blablablabla. The more you declare those ‘nansins’, the more you start behaving it.
So there are four things involved: accepting the love (grace), the willingness to love (faith), declaration of love (new birth/rededication), and demonstration of love (work of faith – goodness).  


We love God because He first loves us that even while we were still in our sins, he sent his son to die for us. You need to accept this. We can't do away with this or else we are going back to the law era. Because no man can save himself, Christ had to die for you and I to conquer death and give us victory over sin. You have surely heard this preaching a zillion times. And somehow Christians are seeing that as some kind a Deja vu. I have heard people in church go like 'dabiaa salvation. We want the preaching to change, it is becoming boring.' Really??? We take out that page in the Bible where Jesus is hanging on the cross and there is no Christianity. Reason why we are still struggling in this life is because we do not understand that his death is the foundation of Christianity. 
You want to overcome sin?  This is the solution: accept that Christ came to die for you. And he has paid the price for your sins. He has overcome it for you. This is grace. Accept God’s Grace. No more struggling!
It doesn’t sound that easy right. Don’t worry. It is not a big bang thing, it is a gradual process. Just as you do not fall in love with that guy/girl overnight, same it is with God. Accepting His love puts you on the right path and you can’t go wrong with that as long as you accept it.

The saying goes, where there is a will, there is a way. Over the years, I have come to believe this: if deep inside your heart, what you want most is that God wins the battle against the devil over your life that is what will eventually happen in the long run. It will be slow but sure.
God searches the heart. He knows when you are fed up of being tied up to sin or when you are actually enjoying sin. He knows when you wish to come out of it or when you wished it wasn’t a sin in the Bible. He knows the desires of your heart. So have faith in God. We are saved by grace through faith. He died for you so receive His salvation power to overcome sin. You might not feel like it, look like it, act like it but then that is why it is faith. It is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. It is this faith that will trigger the transformation with grace as the bullet. ‘For without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.’ Hebrews 11: 6
What we think in our hearts is what comes out from our mouths. On the way to new creation, we have to confess and declare. At my lowest state this made me a victor in Christ. Every day I declare God I am a sinner and I can’t do this without you. I have tried and tried and I am tired of trying. So God I surrender everything to you. I surrender my heart, I surrender my mind, I surrender my soul. Take control. I belong to you. I want to live for you alone. God I need you to guide me. Etc… Words are very powerful. With words God created the whole world. Life and death lies in the power of the tongue. The sinner’s prayer is not a one day thing. It is a without ceasing prayer. Constant and continuous declaration of our love and dependence on God even when the things we are doing at the moment is not Godlike takes us to a place of consciousness where we start feeling God all around us. He envelopes us with his love and calms us down. ‘Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.’ 2 Corinthians 12: 9
As we become conscious of God, we begin to see Him everywhere and in everything. We become aware that God is with us. He surrounds us with love. That is when you whisper calmly ‘God you are there right?’ Praying to God and reading his Word will no more be a burden. As a matter of fact, you enjoy doing it because it draws you closer to Him and you get to know more about Him.

You discover more about his love for you, it increases your faith, you declare it in your life, you start behaving it and the cycle goes on and on. Tell me, when you become so busy like this with God, how on earth are you going to get time to even sin.
Following God and serving God is intentional and a conscious thing. It is a decision that you take every morning when you wake up. That today I choose to follow Christ and do His Word. ‘Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.’ Galatians 5: 24

With that said as humans as we are, we sometimes find ourselves hurting the very people that we love. But when we realize what we have done, we do not try and justify our actions. Rather we show remorse, feel sorry and ask for forgiveness. We avoid situations that will make us offend them. When we love someone that loves us, we do not abuse their love for us. We do not do the same things that they do not like over and over again and come back each time apologizing.
To conclude, Don Moen sang ‘think about his love, this about his goodness, think about his grace that has brought us through. For as high as the heavens are above, great is the measure of our father’s love.’
Let everything you think of, everything you say, everything you do remind you of God and His love for you. This will fill your heart with gratitude and make you love him in return.

‘Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, think on these things’. Philippians 4: 8

I end by stating categorically that I am not perfect, I am a work in progress. I am not a saint, I am a sinner. And I am grateful to God for what He has done for me. Whenever I look at how far He has brought me, I realize I am here on earth for a very specific reason and I cannot disappoint Him. So, the second I realize I am straying away, I rush back quick quick into His saving arms.
Jesus loves you and died for you. That shouldn’t be in vain. Abide in His love. Xox.

Yours Truly,

Akua Akeela AddMens

No comments:

Post a Comment